We are looking for an illustration that captures both the content of our film and the poster style of certain specific Superhero/Fantasy films in general. This is a muli-character illustration that blends numerous characters and elements together in one, striking image.
Examples of the kind of illustration that we are looking for are attached below - The Star Wars films, recent Marvel Films such as Black Panther and the Avengers etc.
Photo Realism – We’re not expecting total photo realism here. Like the Star Wars reference poster attached (Attack of the Clones), a more creative illustration style is fine. But the finished illustration really does have to clearly represent the actors and the characters depicted – the audience has to immediately recognize who they are looking at.
The image will consist of –
1. THREE PROMINENT FACES
The largest individual parts of the illustration – these shouldn’t be in one horizontal line across the image (see reference posters attached for different approaches to composition).
These are representing the actors themselves, so not necessarily in costume. The three actors we have chosen are
- Christopher Reeve
- Chadwick Boseman and
- Christian Bale.
There are multiple images of these actors attached.
(I particularly like the idea of Christopher Reeve #3 as the furthest left of these larger faces, Chadwick Boseman #1 at the centre and higher up and Christian Bale #3 on the right, but I’m happy to see what other interpretations can offer)
2. SMALLER CHARACTERS, FIGURES AND EVENTS
The image will also involve smaller illustrations of the following –
- Blade (on a motorbike)
- Catwoman (Michelle Pfieffer - laying on a bed)
- Iron Man (in flight)
- The Crow
- Wolverine (Hugh Jackman)
- Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot - in battle).
Multiple images of these are attached.
3. Tim Burton behind the camera as a prominent image - a reference image is attached to the brief.
Rather than simply have the faces of these characters, we are looking for some of these to be full body/action shots – so among the reference images attached are Iron Man in flight, Blade on a motorbike, Catwoman laying down on a bed, Wonder Woman in battle.
-> Again, see the reference illustrations for examples of how other poster art has achieved this.
4. We’ve also attached a couple of comic book illustrations of explosions, complete with “Boom” or “Whoosh” text (Images - Batman Whoosh and Punisher Wom!). If we could somehow integrate this into the image – a comic book style explosion, clearly different in its presentation to the other images – to suggest the comic book roots of these characters, that would be fantastic. I wonder whether the hand of a penciller drawing this ‘Boom’ may work to properly integrate it in, but this is just an idea and one that may prove too ‘different’ to the other images in the illustration. But if it could work, I’d love to see it.
5. A fully blended background bringing everything together
The concept for the background is the movie experience itself, so we have included an image (Drive in Theatre) that we feel could be useful here. We wouldn’t expect to see the cars, but the movie screen casting light into the night sky may be nice, and the treeline at the bottom and the stars above. Perhaps also a couple of Hollywood searchlights beaming into the sky as well (not too much) may work. A searchlight reference image is attached.
6. You don't need to illustrate the film's title - it will, like all of the reference posters, sit in the bottom third at the centre, so don't leave that space empty, but a slightly less busy area here would be perfect.
In terms of any elements drawing the illustration together - geometric shapes, borders etc - we're totally open to interpretation here. Whatever looks good!
For the Qualifying round of the contest please show us your iteration of:
i) Two of the prominent heads:
ii) Iron man and the explosion
Your idea for the background
iii) some sketching of how the overlal layout would work, i.e where would the other characters be featured in the layout, that doesn't have to be hyper detailed.
Please indicate on your submission, where the other characters would be in the layout.
For the Final Round of the contest we will expect to see everything listed above in points 1-5.