What we want:
1) Make it colourful. Use blue + green + yellow + red colours at the same time.
2) Separate the emblem and the font part. But keep a harmony between them.
3) Build logos with 2 meanings in a way that, the first meaning will be easily recognizable; but, the second meaning will only be recognized after inspecting the logo carefully. In other words, the emblem will contain 2 items that 1 will be recognized at first glance, but the 2nd item will only be seen by careful eyes.
4) We will use the logo mainly on dark surfaces. So provide your designs on both dark & light backgrounds.
5) Be clean and smart.
6) Use smoothly curved lines for them emblem. Don't make it sharp and pointy.
7) Use a smooth font. Don't pick serious fonts. But ofcourse don't be too playful neither.
8) Adding a detail to the font makes it unique. So its a plus :)
9) The logo must tell our story. Let me try to explain it:
sinaps.com has a connection with the content in it. A synapse (sinaps) is the place where neurons communicate with each other. So people make the connection like (student network on sinaps.com) = (neural network in the brain) & (brain = problem solver = challenge) etc. What I'm trying to say that the logo must contain a similar relationship with what we do.
Not all our users or whoever hears our name, can directly see the relationship with the name "sinaps" and the websites content; but, when they do, a little "aha!" smile appears on their faces. We want to create a similar effect with our logo too.
What we DONT want:
1) An abstract emblem with no or limited meaning.
2) An emblem forming an "S" letter.
3) An stock image of something in the emblem part.
4) Sharp and masculine fonts.
5) A bulb. (If you insist on using a bulb, be extremely subtle)