We are looking for a logo/motif for our website (http://villagetelco.org) and which can also be adapted for use on a conference banner. If we are successful with this we'll probably follow-up with a 99designs contest to use the logo to put together a better wordpress site.
Key themes to get across in the logo are:
1) the sense of a village, community;
2) phones, this is about access to phones event though it runs on Internet WiFi; and,
3) the mesh, each phone/device extends the access to other devices
Here's an image that is headed in the right direction:
It conveys the sense of a mesh but it would need to look less European and be more SVG/EPS logo-ish. And the concept of phones needs to find its way in there.
Here is a google image search of "mesh network". Some pretty ugly images but it gives you a sense of what a mesh network looks like.
Things to avoid:
1) North American or European imagery or worse stock images. The Village Telco is about the developing world.
2) Getting too complex.
3) Mobile phone imagery
4) hexagons/bee-hive imagery
5) colour gradients