Outdoor Safety Institute LLC
Mission: The Outdoor Safety Institute promotes outdoor activities by providing outdoor education and recreation providers with safety, liability and program management solutions and educating the public about outdoor safety.
OSI is partly a "virtual institute," providing online information and community for people interested in the outdoors (our website will be outdoorsafetyinstitute.com). We are also a provider or solutions for program management, field safety, legal, medical and insurance challenges that outdoor education and recreation programs face (this is how we make money).
ATTRIBUTION: We're willing to credit you for your design work by listing your name & professional email (or a professional appearing website) on our website for at least 5 years (launching in March).
GUARANTEE: We will guarantee this prize, but can't do so until we get 10 entries.
Part of our focus is on the general public with a strong interested in outdoor recreation (think the REI type crowd if you're in the US, MEC for Canadians). We focus on human powered outdoor activities such as backpacking, rock climbing, mountaineering, ice climbing, rafting, kayaking, canoeing, backcountry skiiing, trekking, etc.
Designs should represent the outdoors and dangers in the outdoors and the fact that we guide people away from these dangers (the compass should help to represent our guiding role).
The people who pay are bills, however, are most important and they are:
1) Managers of outdoor education and recreation programs, many in their late 20's through 30's (we're especially interested in the most tech savvy ones).
2) Insurance underwriters/brokers - sometimes a bit more conservative bunch
3) Senior management and boards or directors (generally 35 and up in age) at larger non-profits with an outdoor focus
Examples of potential client organizations might include:
Redesign our draft logo (attached) or feel free to start anew.
The logo must:
1) Include a compass image of some type, could reference a compass rose or a modern orienteering compass.
2) Include our name "Outdoor Safety Institute," but it does NOT have to include "LLC" like it said in this briefing originally.
3) Have a white background and ideally be transparent for potential use on top of photos.
The logo might:
1) Include some form of cross like the current version (though we'd like to differentiate OSI from medical or search and rescue groups)
2) Include both land and water elements (e.g. mountains and rivers) to appeal to all our clients
3) Have both color and b&w version (although initial color designs are fine)
4) Be a separate mark from the text or incorporate the image with the name
The logo should not:
1) Include very bright colors
Vector based AI or EPS (both would be great). A PNG file would also be nice & other format if you can provide them.
Attached is our current logo and a PDF including some compass imagery and logo with our comment (read the comments, we don't like all the examples).
Thank you for your submissions!