How Brian Friedman started their logo design journey
I own my own photography business and I specialize in portraits and events. To be specific: Corporate Events, Weddings/Special Events, and Portraits - many of which are famous comedians. I started the company on my own by myself. Used to work in the entertainment biz. I do my best to create ART from the very simple, to the very complex. Moments that seem ordinary I try to capture in a way that presents them in a way that people go "oh I didn't see it like that." I'm not a "grip and grin" type photographer. I'm constantly being told my photos are so "unique" and so "different." I work very hard at capturing the essence of people and their lives. When I shoot corporate events I aim to also make "art" out of events that can be quite ordinary and even mundane. I try to draw my viewer into the photo by presenting the scene in a unique way.
Tell us a bit about who you are and the people you reach
Couple of markets, and the logo has to work across them given my style.
1. Corporate (events and portraiture)
2. Weddings (both american and people from other parts of the world coming to NYC to be married)
My audience obviously ranges, but they have taste and I need for the logo to stand out. I am not looking for a logo that has a camera or ANYTHING camera/photo related in it. That's been done a zillion times already. My audience is sophisticated and knows a good product when they see it, especially on the corporate side. My wedding clients (mostly brides hire me) won't care as much as the corporate folks do, but I want the logo to "pop" and to be "unique" and appeal to both those audiences. I get that they are quite different and that will make this a unique challenge, but all in all if it's appealing then it shouldn't be too difficult.
My ideal logo:
1. First you should look at my sites and get a feel for my work. http://www.b-freed.com, http://www.b-freedweddings.com, http://www.b-freed.com/blog. The wedding site is going to be switched over to an identical layout as the non wedding site.
2. I am changing the name to BFREEDPHOTO - this way it's easier for people to remember and I have the .com version. So I want the logo to be for BFREEDPHOTO. I am open to it being all upper or lower case or mixed. WHATEVER LOOKS BEST
3. Absolutely no camera or GIMMICKY photo related art should be used. That's been done a zillion times
4. I want it to be CLASSY, FUNKY-ISH, UNIQUE, BEAUTIFUL.
5. I would ideally like some kind of illustration + my name. I'd like to be able to separate them as needed
6. Logo will be used on my sites AS WELL AS to watermark images so keep that in mind for sizing and readability.
7. I'm open to colors - let my images help do the talking for me. I'm trusting you guys to do what you do best.
8. I'd like a black and white version as well as color. This may work better to watermark images.
9. I need an eps file as well as a psd file with a transparent background. I am not a designer so if there is any other "standard" format please supply that too.
10. Can't stress enough to look at my work and get a feel for it! No doubt the winning design will best represent what I have and appeal to my audiences.