* The Company name, "The San Francisco Yogurt Company", should appear clearly on the label, of course. "The" may be omitted and "Company" can be shortened to "Co.", "CO", or "Co", as suits the layout.
* The product name should also be prominently displayed on the front of the label, either "Yogurt" or "Greek Strained Yogurt". "Organic" can be incorporated into / near the product name, but it should be of secondary prominence. UPDATE: Based on designs so far, I don't want an emphasis on the word "Yogurt." It can even be totally minimized to the status of the net wt (xx oz / xxx g) text. However, "Greek Strained" or just "Greek" should still be pretty visible since it's an important differentiator within the yogurt section at a grocery store.
* The fat content of the product, as "11% Milkfat" (for regular) or "22% Milkfat" (for Greek) should be displayed prominently, boldly, and proudly (but not outrageously) on the front of the label. This is key! Don't place it down at the bottom with the Net Wt text.
* White space is not to be feared. Alternatively, could fill white space with a simple, bold pattern like Smari
* Color: no more than 1 or 2 solid colors in addition to black and white; ideally, no color gradients (including gray scale) should be used.
* Fonts: no more than 1 or 2 large/bold font and one small font for nutrition label and other small print. Sans-serif preferred, but I do like the subtle serifs on the Strauss name logo. Update: I don't like dainty pencil-thin fonts.
* Absolutely no cows, milk (especially not splashing or pouring), pics of yogurt in bowls, or farming / dairy equipment on the label. I want the package to evoke thoughts of adventure, fitness, the high Sierras, etc--NOT remind the consumer that milk and yogurt comes from cows and farms, etc.
* The design should be flexible enough to work on a variety of container sizes (4.5, 5.3, 6, 7, 8, 16, 22, 32 oz containers are all possibilities).
Other Required Text and Design Elements (might not be exhaustive)
* Nutrition panel (example included)
* USDA Organic seal (black and white only)
* "Distributed by San Francisco Yogurt CO, PO Box XXX, San Francisco, CA 94XXX"
* "Grade A"
* Ingredient list: "Ingredients: Cultured Organic Milk and Organic Cream
* "Net Wt XX.X oz (XXX g)"
* Barcode and UPC
* "Keep Refrigerated"