BEFORE you start working on the brief, please make sure you watch these two short videos first. I just go over the brief and clarify some things to make sure that you don't waste any of your valuable time with misunderstandings:
We have several different types of packaging that we want designed. We have 3 main packaging types, and also some different sizes of each type. So, whoever we choose for this contest, we will also want to create similar style packaging for the other packaging types and sizes.
So, the first packaging type we want to have designed is the pouch, which is shown here:
There are 4 main elements of the bag:
1. Printed bag - the bag itself will be printed on. This design will be the same across all the products that we sell, so it needs to be a brand specific design as opposed to a product specific design.
2. Window - we want to have a transparent "window" in the bag so that customers can see some of the actual product inside the bag. The size and shape of this window is flexible so you can be creative with this.
3. front label - This label will also likely be brand specific in design for the large part, but this is where product size, product name etc are displayed. This label can also be somewhat flexible in shape and size. The label will have the product info printed on it for the different products, and this label will need to have a specific place on the bag where it will be stuck.
4. Back label - as above but with extra information and barcode etc.
Temporary Elements that need to be printed on the label are:
- organic text
- product name
- product weight
- country of origin
- Best before date
- Organic logo
- batch number
- nutritional information table
- cooking instructions
- QR code
Permanent elements that can be on the label or main packaging (but most likely we would want to keep this on the main packaging) are:
- transparent window to see product
- About us text
- Customer service note
- contact info
Please see this old bag packaging (different type and size of packaging) for examples of these different elements above:
Any of the temporary text printed on labels must be in black only. However, any permanent elements on the label can be in colour. Also, the main packaging can be in colour.
The size of the front label and back label can be different, and also, the labels can be any shape (not just rectangular). The label may also overlap the transparent window if desired (see whole food earth example designs).
Here are some examples of packaging that we like:
One commonality is the use of hand painted images in the designs. We will almost definitely want to included something of this in our designs. If you are unable to actually do a hand drawing or painting yourself, don't worry, you can still do the design of what you want, and if we like it, we can get someone else to do the illustration. However, of course, better if you can provide one yourself.